PWC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Take It In

PWC :: PWC

Go down

Take It In Empty Take It In

When I first took baby-steps into the world of Packers-related Tweeting and blogging, I was overwhelmed to say the least. Sure, I had read the big guys, JSO, GBPG, before getting into Twitter, but nothing prepared me for the level of intensity in which every movement, every quote, and every action by a player was meticulously documented by fan and paid journalist alike, with apparent equality in the spotlight. As time went on and spring turned into summer, I grew accustomed to the barrage of information and how to handle it.

However, nothing could have prepared me for Super Bowl week.

Twitter and the blogs a month ago were drops in the ocean compared to the last two weeks. It's hard to describe and understate the avalanche of information, speculation, and detail. As the Packers were flying into Dallas, one Tweeter humorously remarked: "OMG! THEY LANDED, SO THAT MEANS THEY MIGHT LEAVE THE PLANE!

ESPN's Jason Wilde started to skip meals to finish articles. Cheesehead TV's Corey Behnke took so many pictures, that just one had Ted Thompson smiling (which actually scared me the first time I saw it.) A ten to twenty minute press conference would result in approximately 100 to 150 tweets being sent from bloggers and journalists alike. This point in our Super Bowl journey, with only hours left until kickoff, is like getting off of a violent rollercoaster; our feet are a little unsteady, our heads are spinning.

Don't get me wrong, an overractive fan base is infinitely peferable to an apathetic fan base; do you want to end up like those jaded, cynical Vikings fans? However, now that the preparations are done, the practices concluded, the injury speculation wrapping up as we speak, its time to look at the big picture.

We've waited our whole lives for this moment. It may seem silly or superficially simplistic, but this is more than a game. A fellow tweeter talked this week about how she had recently received devastating news about her family member's health, and how this game was now more important for them. That's just one story. This game connects generations, it draws family together, it makes friends. What else do a high school student (that's me!) a Milwaukee policeman, and a New York college student have in common, other than being Packers fans on Twitter? Not much.

On a personal level, we need to take time to really take this experience in because, whether the Pack wins or loses tomorrow, we know we will be telling our children and grandchildren about this time in Packers history, much like Aunt Gert told us, because the Packers now are great. After so much time working their way up, Green Bay has once again achieved greatness. Take it in.

Go Pack Go!

-PWC

Last edited by Admin on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Minor changes)
Admin
Admin

https://packerworldcentral.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Take It In :: Comments

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 am  Jrehor

Nice read. I think all Packers fans feel the same way.

Today is a day to relish, take it all in as you said. Days like this dont happen enough...

At least, not yet

Go Pack Go!!!

Back to top Go down

PWC :: PWC

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum